Where is the Childhood Cancer Action Days being Held?
- Action Days 2017 is being held at the Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel (999 9th St NW, Washington, DC 20001).
- The schedule will be available in April.
What is the easiest way to get to the Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel?
- The closest metro station to the hotel is Gallery Place- Chinatown (Green, Yellow & Red Lines) approximately 0.3 miles SW of the hotel.
- From Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport – DCA (5 miles)
- Subway (Metro): [Yellow line] GALLERY PLACE - $2.50 (one way)
- Estimated taxi fare: $19 (one way)
- From Washington Dulles Airport - IAD (27.8 miles)
- Subway (Metro): GALLERY PLACE-CHINATOWN - $9 (one way)
- Estimated taxi fare: $55 (one way)
- From Baltimore/Washington Airport -BWI (34 miles)
- Amtrak to Union Station; (Metro) [Red line] to hotel - $35 (one way)
- Estimated taxi fare: $65 (one way)
What if I want to drive in to the training? Where can I park?
- Parking in Washington, DC is limited and often very pricey.
- There is a parking garage located at the Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel with the following rates:
- On-site parking for overnight guests: $35 daily inclusive
- Valet parking for overnight guests: $45 daily + tax
- Non-overnight guests hourly self-parking (inclusive)
- Up to 1 hour: $11.00
- 1 hour to 9 hours: $19.00
- 9 to 16 hours: $24.00
- 16 to 24 hours: $35.00
- Non Overnight Guest Parking Hourly Valet (+ tax)
- Up to 3 hours: $22.00
- Over 3 hours: $45.00
What type of clothing should I plan on wearing?
- It is best to plan on wearing business casual attire for the congressional meetings on May 2nd. For women and girls this can include dress pants and a professional looking top or a skirt or dress. For men and boys this can include dress pants or khakis and a button down or golf shirt. These are merely suggestions; feel free to use your own discretion.
- In order to show that we are a unified group, we ask that you also wear your gold gear! Gold ties, scarves, or jewelry are all encouraged.
- We ask that you please refrain from wearing gear from your home organization as we are trying to present a united front/message.
- If you choose to wear a shirt that has your child on it that is totally appropriate.
- Whatever you decide to wear, please be sure to wear comfortable shoes, as we will be doing a good amount of walking.
What if I have a child in the Kids Room?
- There will be plenty of activities and crafts on hand to keep your children occupied.
- We will break at several times throughout the training so you can check in with your child.
What am I doing on May 2nd?
- On Tuesday, May 2nd we will be going on several meetings on Capitol Hill with our home state lawmakers. These meetings will be scheduled for you in advance, and you will be with other participants from your state.
- We understand that while many of you have attended the Childhood Cancer Action Days before, many more of you have not!
- In addition, we will have our "What to Know Before You Go" Webinar on Tuesday, April 25 at 7:00pm eastern. In this webinar, we'll go over the details on how meetings are being scheduled as well as a few specific "homework" assignments that will help you hone your message, understand your audience, use social media effectively and get a sense of what is happening on Capitol Hill. Whether you've attended the Action Days in the past or not, this is the session for you. If you are unavailable, the webinar will be posted here on the Alliance website soon after. To participate, click the “Join Webex” link on your computer and then use your cell phone or land line to dial the toll-free number below. When asked, please enter the access code highlighted in yellow followed by the pound sign (#).
Childhood Cancer Action Days: What to Know Before You Go
Join WebEx meeting
Call-in toll-free number: 1-877-668-4493
Meeting Number: 731 583 010
- Once you arrive at the training on Monday, May 1st you will be seated at tables with people from your home states – we encourage you to introduce yourselves as you will be attending most of your congressional meetings with this group.
- Finally, we will spend all of Monday, May 1st preparing you for your congressional meetings the next day – so please do not worry!
Who should I contact if I have more questions?
- Sarah Gibson at email@example.com
What if I’m looking for other things to do in Washington?
- Please follow the link for more information on what’s happening in Washington DC.