Where are the Childhood Cancer Action Days being Held?
- Action Days 2020 will take place at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center (775 12th Street NW, Washington, DC 20005). The schedule will be available in late May.
What is the easiest way to get to the Washington Marriott at Metro Center?
- The closest metro station to the hotel is Metro Center (Red, Orange, & Blue Lines) – less than 0.1 miles from the hotel.
- From Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport – DCA (approximately 4.5 miles)
- Subway (Metro): $2.30 (one way)
- Estimated taxi fare: $25 (one way)
- From Washington Dulles Airport - IAD (approximately 27 miles)
- Estimated taxi fare: $75 (one way)
- Alternate transportation: Super Shuttle; fee: $30 (one way); reservation required
What if I want to drive in to the training? Where can I park?
- Parking in Washington, DC is limited and often very pricey.
- Valet parking fee: $54 daily
What type of clothing should I plan on wearing?
- It is best to plan on wearing business casual attire for the Congressional meetings on June 10th. For women and girls this can include dress pants and a professional looking top or a skirt or dress. For men and boys this can include dress pants or khakis and a button down or golf shirt. These are merely suggestions; feel free to use your own discretion.
- In order to show that we are a unified group, we ask that you also wear your gold gear! Gold ties, scarves, or jewelry are all encouraged.
- We ask that you please refrain from wearing gear from your home organization as we are trying to present a united front/message.
- If you choose to wear a shirt that has your child on it that is completely appropriate.
- Whatever you decide to wear, please be sure to wear comfortable shoes, as we will be doing a good amount of walking.
What if I have a child in the Kids Room?
- There will be plenty of activities and crafts on hand to keep your children occupied.
- We will break at several times throughout the training so you can check in with your child.
- Parents who register a child for the Kids Room will receive more information closer to Action Days.
What am I doing on June 10th?
- On Wednesday, June 10th, we will attend several meetings on Capitol Hill with our home state lawmakers. These meetings will be scheduled for you in advance, and you will be with other participants from your state.
- We understand that while many of you have attended Childhood Cancer Action Days before, many more of you have not! Stay tuned for more details about a "What to Know Before You Go" webinar. In this webinar, we'll go over the details on how meetings are being scheduled as well as a few specific "homework" assignments that will help you hone your message, understand your audience, use social media effectively and get a sense of what is happening on Capitol Hill. Whether you've attended the Action Days in the past or not, this is the session for you. If you are unavailable, the webinar will be posted here on the Alliance website soon after.
- Once you arrive at the training on Tuesday, June 9th, you will be seated at tables with people from your home states – we encourage you to introduce yourselves as you will be attending most of your Congressional meetings with this group.
- We will spend all of Tuesday, June 9th preparing you for your Congressional meetings the next day – so please do not worry!
Who should I contact if I have more questions?
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
What if I’m looking for other things to do in Washington?
- Please follow this link for more information on what’s happening in Washington DC.